2/22/2011

Cake Anyone?

 The Girls decided they wanted to have a baseball birthday cake for Chris for his birthday tomorrow. I thought this was a brilliant idea because 1. He loves baseball, and 2. his favorite cake is Chocolate with white frosting. Easy enough as well since I had round cake pans. I did a double layer cake with white whipped frosting and then did the stitching with red frosting...here is how I did it!




First Bake your cakes









 Then take them out of the pans to cool
On the bottom layer add some frosting so the cakes stick together. Put this layer in the fridge to let the frosting get cold.








 You will need some piping bags, tips and food coloring.
And an icing spatula.










 Spread out frosting in between layers
 Add the top layer...looks like a giant oreo!
 Dirty Ice the cake: this means use a thin layer of frosting to coat the cake and seal in any crumbs. Then place in fridge for an hour.

 Then add another thin layer of frosting to smooth. Place back in fridge for about 30 min.
 Using a template of the way I wanted the stitching to go used a toothpick to create a line in the frosting to follow.
 Red & green food coloring to make the stitching and "Grass"
 I still need to work on my free hand piping but its getting better!
 Side view of the base ball in "grass"
Hope you enjoyed this...This cake took 3 tall containers of Icing...I read that 2 tablespoons of frosting is 100 cals..looks like tomorrow when Its time to eat cake I will only be able to lick a very tiny piece! LOL Kidding, its a special occasion so I am allowed to have a small piece :) Happy Birthday Babe!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment