1/20/2011

So...what have you been up to?

 Today my thoughts are weighing on my mind. I'm not sure how to sort them or if I should keep them to myself or let them out. There has been a lot of change going on in my life, my focus has changed and my energy is being put towards myself and my family. I am doing things that I have wanted to do for some time now and I am happy with the way my life is shaping out.

Lately I have been running into old friends and the question of "What have you been up to lately" is always asked of me. As if I live some kind of exclusive life style. Now depending on which friends I run into the answer is always different but its the truth and what they can understand. So what is going on in my life? When I run into old guy friends who are still single and live exciting social lives I normally answer with, not much, just at home taking care of my daughters. Chris and I are doing great (They all either know him or are friends with him as well) and that's about it. I stay at home, I am completely involved with my children and I never go out....ever. Fun right? Not to a bunch of 24 year old single, party dudes! These guys usually throw me off when I see them and sometimes I want to hide, but its too late, they already see me, and are happy to see me, because to them, I'm still the Anna they went to school with....not the mom Anna.

When I run into old girlfriends that don't have kids, there's not much to say...I don't know how to relate to them anymore. I usually answer the same way I would with any of my guy friends....but I try to stay and chat a little longer about how they are and where they are in life. I may envy their freedom a little bit and then the conversation gets interrupted by my screaming child who is ready to gooooooooo. Then they look at me with that omg I never want to have kids look, and say "Awww she is so sweet".  I apologize and we leave.

I am a mom, a young mom. I gave up all the partying, freedom and "college experiences" to have kids, get married and start my life with my family. Its not all its cracked up to be, its challenging, and and hard sometimes, but for the right people it completes them. I was made for this, and I'm damn good at it :)

Old boyfriends....these are the fun ones to talk with. And usually they find me on Facebook and want to know how I am....after "them" They ask questions to see if I miss them, think about them or if my life is any hint of miserable, because they tend to think they were the best thing to happen since sliced bread. To them I laugh, brag about how AMAZING my life is, and thank them for putting me out of my misery so many years ago, because if they did work out....my life would be miserable! Sorry boys, but you all suck! I have the best husband in the world, 2 amazing little girls and I am happy! So happy its stupid! Oh and the girl you just knocked up, I feel for, because you may have her convinced that she is the one, but we both know you haven't changed and it will only be a few months before she is crushed by your hideous ways.  You should wear a sign, or have to carry a card that says..."I'm not sticking around" LOSER!

Then the mommy-friends....now these are not the ones that are really friends, you are just mommy's and that gives you an instant connection. There is an unwritten rule that your children are in competition so when you run into these mommy-friends its on to see who's kid has mastered all the state capitols by 2 years or if your child walked by 3 mo or not. Its ridiculous, I tend to hide from these mommy's

Running into old friends that you had a falling out with....this one is hard, once you see this person, feelings of regret, animosity and resentment come up. When they ask "How are you" I say I'm great, I'm fine and nothing could be better, I don't want to say what I really want to because I'm still upset over everything. Then they ask "What have you been up to?" when they want to know who have you been hanging out with. Why do they need to know this?

Then there are my Friends. The ones that I can run into after not seeing them in months or even years and our conversation just flows as if we were together yesterday. These are also the friends that even though they are not with you everyday they are still there for support and to help you get through life. Some of them have kids, some don't. But those are the friends that will last a life time. Those are the friendships that I will treasure for ever. There is a connection that can never be broken and so many memories together, and even though our lives can be completely different, we may not talk much, or thanks to facebook talk everyday, even if its liking a status update we know that those people will always be there for us in any time of need. Thank you friends, for always being there for me, supporting me and cheering me on. I love you all.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. This just made me cry!! I could have written the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW ANNA. WE WERE TOTALLY ON THE SAME PAGE YESTERDAY. WEIRD! YOUR BLOG IS SPOT ON 100 PERCENT. I LOVED IT AND IT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS ANALYZING YESTERDAY. ITS NICE TO KNOW THAT WE SHARE THE SAME VIEWS,ESPECIALLY ON THE SAME DAY. THANKS FOR SENDING IT TO ME!

    ReplyDelete